Monday 21 January 2013

"Ocean" Illustration - Tidal Wave Records Logo

Hey Everyone!

I have been doodling in my notebook trying to come up with a creative way to Construct a logo around the word Ocean.

First, I wrote down a bunch of ideas that would make for a trendy business who would be seeking a sharp, dynamic Logo.
I came up with "Ocean Sounds Records" with either a Record Label or a Record Store in mind.

I wanted to do a logo involving a vinyl record, because nothing beats Vinyl!

 Thumbnail Stage:

Here is my first idea:

I was trying to work out a way to incorporate a cool looking wave (Ocean Sounds) with a record player, So I first drew up this wave crashing over a record player, with "OCEAN SOUNDS" in Watery Letters. Not Bad, but not that good either.

My second Sketch:
Here, I was trying to work out a way to shape the Watery letters around the wave, while also trying to perfect my Wave-drawing abilities. Another thing I did here was experiment with a ribbon/banner along the bottom where it says "Records". I feel banners are a nice touch on most logos, as they give it an "Official" look.

Third Times a Charm?

Realizing that the Illustration only needed the Ocean Theme, and not necessarily the Word Ocean in the graphic, I tried out some different words. I did a quick, but planned out sketch of a Typographic Wave, composed of the words "Tidal Wave" I want this logo to be complex, yet simple. By that I mean I want detail and the record player, funky looking letters, and one colour (Blue of course!).
So, I went to my weapon of choice, Adobe Illustrator, and Tried out this new twist on my idea.
Still a work in Progress, but I am happy with how my letters turned out!

 I decided to go with 3 colours so that it will pop on a dark or light background. I made the side and front of my record player Black. and the inside of the word "Tidal", as well as the record player details white.
I was happy with this finished product, so I wanted to see how it would look in practical use. I am going to say Tidal Wave Records is a Record Store, so here's what the logo looks like on a sign:

As well as a T-shirt:

This might also be printed on the Store's bags, posters, etc.

Thanks for reading, keep checking back for my Next Illustration!!!

Matt


No comments:

Post a Comment